Using a combination of qualitative and quantitative data improves an evaluation by ensuring that the limitations of one type of data are balanced by the strengths of another. This then ensures that understanding is improved by integrating different ways of knowing. Some of the values of using both qualitative and quantitative research methods include the ability to enriching data, examining findings, explaining findings and triangulation. Mixed methods approach can offer a powerful resource to inform and illuminate the answers that different researched seek. This training seeks to enhance the skills of participants using both qualitative and quantitative research approaches in undertaking their researches, projects programs, feasibility studies among others. The training will cover ways to undertaking research with particular attention to collecting and analyzing both qualitative and quantitative data; the use of information Technology for data collection (mobile Based Data Collection using ODK), data management analysis and interpretation of empirical results. The focus of this training is therefore, to enable participants to learn how to use Stata for quantitative data management and analysis and NVIvo software for qualitative data management and analysis.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This is a general training targeting participants wishing to analyze both quantitative and rich messy qualitative data. The participants can be from Social, Agriculture, Economics, Food Security and Livelihoods, Nutrition, Education, Medical or public health professionals among others who wish to be conversant with the concepts and applications of STATA and NVivo Softwares No prior Knowledge is required.
The training will enable participants to;
- Understand the basics of data cleaning
- Understand how to import and export data, input data into Stata
- General use and data management using Stata.
- Managing output management in Stata
- Understanding how to generate simple and advanced graphics using Stata
- Analyzing quantitative data using both descriptive and commonly used inferential analysis techniques
- Explore the function of NVivo
- Create a project
- Undertake deductive and inductive qualitative data coding using NVivo
- Manage project material
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Module 1: Introduction/Recap to Qualitative and Quantitative Research and Statistical Concepts
- Definition of qualitative and quantitative research
- Types of Quantitative and Qualitative Data
- Sources of Quantitative and Qualitative data
- Qualitative vs Quantitative
- Descriptive Statistics and common inferential statistics
- The core functions of inferential statistics
Module 2: Introduction to Mobile Phone Based Data Collection Using ODK and Mapping Training
- Introduction to mobile phone data collection
- Components of Open Data Kit (ODK)
- ODK Form (Basic format of XLSForm)
- ODK Collect Application Interface
- ODK Aggregate
- ODK Manage
- ODK platforms and formats
- Downloading and install ODK Collect into mobile devices or using APK file
- Creating ODK Collect Forms
- ODK build;
- Designing and creating Forms
- Designing forms directly on: ODK Build, Koboform builder, PurcForms
Module 3: Data Entry, Management, and Manipulation using Stata
- Overview of Stata
- Defining and labeling data and variables
- Creating, transforming, recoding variables
- Generating new variables
- Data Entry, Exploring, modification.
- Transferring data to/from Stata
- Merging and Appending Stata data files (e.g. Excel, SPSS )
Module 4: Output management
- Output Management
- Tabulating data with Stata
Module 5: Stata Graphics
- Basics of Graphing
- Customizing Graphs
- Advanced graphing
- Exporting a Stata graph
Module 6: Quantitative data analysis (Inferential analysis techniques) using Stata and Reporting
- Statistical Inference
- Regression analysis
- T Test
Module 7: Getting Started with NVivo
- NVivo key terms
- The NVivo Workspace
- Creating a new project
- Opening and Saving project
- Working with Qualitative data files
- Importing Documents
Module 8: Working with Codes and Nodes
- Type of Nodes,
- Creating nodes
- Browsing Nodes
- Creating Memos
- Memos, annotations, and links
- Creating a linked memo
Module 9: Summarizing the Data
- Creating Attributes within NVivo
- Importing Attributes from a Spreadsheet
- Getting Results; Coding Query and Matrix Query
Module 10: Visualizing project
- Displaying data in charts
- Creating models and graphs to visualize connections
- Creating reports and extracts
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request. You can have it delivered your preferred location.
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Tel: +254 (0) 739167709.
Email: training @versedpro.com
Participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, Two short break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact us below.
Mob: +254 7739167709
Payment should be transferred to Versed Professional Services account through bank 7 days before commencement of training.
- All requests for cancellations must be received in writing.
- Changes will become effective on the date of written confirmation being received.
- The appropriate cancellation charge will apply based on the cost of your booking, as shown below.
- In the event of an individual named on the booking form cannot attend, we will accept substitution of another delegate on the condition that written notification of the substitution has been received by us prior to the course date and an administration fee of $ 34 plus VAT has been paid.
- Accommodation and travel are the responsibility of the candidate.
- A buffet lunch and two teas are provided on all full day courses during training dates unless otherwise stated. The cost is included in the price quoted. Any special dietary requirements need to be notified in writing to VPSL in advance before commencement of the training
- Versed Professional Services Limited shall not be liable to refund of fees or for any other penalty should courses be canceled due to war, fire, strike lock-out, industrial action, tempest, accident, civil disturbance or any other cause whatsoever beyond their control.