Increasing food demands due to high rates of population growth and major changes in political and economic and social systems have created an urgent need to develop new and revise many existing agricultural systems and practices. With climate change being a common global phenomenon, humanity continues to grapple with its effects among them being food insecurity, drought, and famine. Agriculture is essentially a spatial phenomenon which is not independent of location.
The three determinants of food security are availability, access, stability, and utilization. Food availability is associated with geographical and agricultural determinants of each area, such as domestic production, import capacity, food stocks, water availability, agriculture land, population density and distribution
GIS is an exploration tool into the use of spatial reasoning methods, to identify regions at risk, due to inadequate food and water resources, which are a result of inherent environmental scarcity. GIS provides a set of tools for evaluating and understanding food security. Several strategies have been developed using GIS and remote sensing techniques, which contribute knowledge and understanding to food security.
This training will seek to understand GIS techniques, which examine local food environments, assess changes in land use and land cover, and identify areas of importance in specific regions to determine the relationships between biophysical and socioeconomic attributes.
At the end of the training, the participants will have a better understanding of
- Basic concepts of GIS
- A refresher on sustainable agriculture and food security
- Spatial data sources for agriculture and food security
- Analysis of spatial agriculture and food security data
- Creation of food security risk maps
Module 1: Basics of GIS
- Basic GIS concepts and terminologies
- Introduction to spatial information
- Introduction to agriculture and food security concepts
- Introduction to GIS in agriculture and food security
- Planning for a GIS system installation
- Working with a GIS software
Module 2: Basics of Agriculture and Food Security
- Food Security
- Food System
- Food Chain
Module 3: Agriculture Spatial Data Collection
- Data sources for disease information mapping
- Mobile data collection using ODK.
- Data collection using handheld GPS devices
- Integrating GPS and ODK data into a GIS environment
Module 4: Spatial Analysis of Agriculture Related Data
- Creating yield maps
- Analysis of precision agriculture data
Module 5: Creation of Food Security Risk Maps
GIS application in Agriculture
- GIS in yield monitoring and mapping
- Reporting food security information using GIS
- Food security early warning systems and drought monitoring
- Characterizing soil spatial variability
- Site‐specific soil management: prescription maps
- Use of GIS and remote sensing in food security analysis
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request. You can have it delivered your preferred location.
For further inquiries, please contact us on details below:
Tel: +254 (0) 739167709.
Email: training @versedpro.com
Participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
All participants will additionally cater for their, travel expenses, visa application, insurance, and other personal expenses.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact us below.
Mob: +254 7739167709
Payment should be transferred to Versed Professional Services account through bank 7 days before commencement of training.
- All requests for cancellations must be received in writing.
- Changes will become effective on the date of written confirmation being received.
- The appropriate cancellation charge will apply based on the cost of your booking, as shown below.
- In the event of an individual named on the booking form cannot attend, we will accept the substitution of another delegate on the condition that written notification of the substitution has been received by us prior to the course date and an administration fee of $ 34 plus VAT has been paid.
- Accommodation and travel are the responsibility of the candidate.
- A buffet lunch and two teas are provided on all full day courses during training dates unless otherwise stated. The cost is included in the price quoted. Any special dietary requirements need to be notified in writing to VPSL in advance before commencement of the training
- Versed Professional Services Limited shall not be liable to refund of fees or for any other penalty should courses be canceled due to war, fire, strike lock-out, industrial action, Tempest, accident, civil disturbance or any other cause whatsoever beyond their control.