This course is designed to equip participants with gender mainstreaming skills for better management of community-based development programmes. The course will further provide participants with a concrete ‘step-by-step’ approach including hints and guidelines for developing and implementing a successful project from a gender-based perspective in order to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, SDGs.
In this course, several issues and problem areas of project management for innovation will be covered. Particular attention will be paid to delivering products and services with speed and quality. Special emphasis will be placed on the importance of the project “users” and how project management involves them.
The overall benefit of this course is to provide participants with skills for gender mainstreaming in design and implementation of successful projects. The course can be used to establish/strengthen gender mainstreaming strategies of project management policies and practices both in the public and private sector.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The training is meant for project managers, government officials, CBO operatives, NGO employees, UN Staff and anyone involved in project management activities
At the end of the participants will be:
- familiar with the basic concepts of gender, project and program management
- able to assure that gender is mainstreamed in the project cycle, in identification, formulation, monitoring, and evaluation
- able to develop a theory of change;
- able to design project and programs, monitor and evaluate on gender equality;
- able to assess your organization on strengths and weakness for mainstreaming gender;
- leave with a personal action plan for mainstreaming gender in his/her programs and organization.
GENDER MAINSTREAMING IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT TOPICS
Module 1: Introduction to Project Development and Management
- Origin and Meaning of the word ‘project’
- The Concept of Project Management
- What Project Management is not
- Exercise -1
Module 2: Fundamental Project Concepts and Elements
- Elements of Project Management
- Project Processes
- Project Life Cycles
- Project Management Systems
- Five Basic Project Management Concepts
- Project-based Organisational Structure
- Exercise -2
Module 3: Project Management Methodologies
- The Concepts of Project Management Methodologies
- Managing Your Project
- Exercise – 3
Module 4: Mainstreaming Gender in Project Management
- Basic gender concepts and definitions
- Key gender mainstreaming perspectives, strategies, and steps
- Ways and Mean of Reducing Gender Inequality in Project Management
- Gender Perspective at Different Stages of Projects
- Gender Analysis in Pre-project Planning
- Gender Equality & Project Stages
- Sample checklist for assessing gender mainstreaming strategies in project design and implementation
- Exercise - 4
Module 5: Gender Mainstreaming in Project Monitoring & Evaluation
- Introduction to Monitoring & Evaluation
- What is Monitoring?
- What is Evaluation?
- Project Monitoring & Evaluation Framework
- Types of frameworks in monitoring and evaluation
- Introduction to Project Indicators
- Gender mainstreaming strategies in indicators, monitoring, and evaluation
- How to design quantitative and qualitative gender-responsive indications
- How to measure qualitative indicators
- Data Sources
- Sample Checklists for conducting gender-responsive monitoring and evaluation
- Exercise - 5
Module 6: Effective Project Management & Fundraising
- Managing a Project
- Managing People
- Project Team Building & Management
- How to Write a Concept Note?
- Exercise - 6
Module 7: Conclusion and Final Examination
- Assessment of Project Management in Participants’ Organization
- Final Examination
- Participants evaluation of course/feedback